Saturday, October 23, 2010

Noel

A gem of a man, my friend....

This was taken with a Ross Cabinet No. 3 (petzval lens, designed for whole plate).  This Ross lens is new to me.  And it is a beauty!  It feels like a small canon.  Very heavy brass.  Did  I mention the perfect glass?  Perfect brass?  Like just off the shop floor.  12--inch focal length, with f3.5 aperture.  I guess most people don't get excited about lenses.  I do.  This thing is beautiful.  And it dates from .... 1882!    I just bought another Ross (1874!!) for my planned trip to Yosemite.  More on that later.  Anyway, I love this shot of Noel.  I hope you too like it.... 






.

1 comment:

  1. John Chambers (chajo02@yahoo.comDecember 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM

    Hello Ed,

    I've been looking at your photography for a few weeks now and when I read this post about your Ross lens I thought I'd let you know about a lens I have. It is a 20" f/6.3 lens in a heavy brass cell and is marked "Ross London" and "Survey Xpres EMI". I've tried to find information on this lens but I have not been able to. I believe that is is a WWII vintage aerial camera lens.

    Yes, I love lenses too!

    ReplyDelete